Winter Wonderland in Damyang - Metasequoia-lined Road (담양 메타세쿼이아길)

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Travel date: January 25, 2016

This was my first experience to travel alone in South Korea. I really want to see winter scenery, by this I mean the nature landscape covered by snow. In 2016, it wasn't snowing a lot in Seoul. After I finished winter semester, I planned to get out of Seoul and find snowy places. The weather forecast showed Gwangju area was snowing a lot, perfect timing to visit Damyang!

Damyang is a small town located 1 hour from Gwangju (by local bus). There is direct bus from Seoul (Central City Bus Terminal) to Damyang and it takes 3 hours 30 minutes to get there. The direct bus to Damyang only operates 3 times per day and direct bus back to Seoul operates 4 times per day.

Bus Schedule from Seoul Central City Bus Terminal to Damyang Bus Terminal (source: Naver Map)








Bus Schedule from Damyang Bus Terminal to Seoul Central City Bus Terminal (source: Naver Map)


I took the earliest bus from Seoul and arrived at Damyang by 11.40. At that time, I'm afraid I couldn't finish the planned itinerary before the sunset (in winter, it's already dark by 5 pm), so I have booked the accommodation in advance in Gwangju. Since Damyang is a very small town, so better stay at Gwangju - the closest big city from Damyang. Turns out I could finished the planned itinerary in Damyang before sunset, so actually I could just buy 5pm bus ticket back to Seoul. Since I already booked the accommodation in Gwangju, the next day I just traveled in Gwangju. Fyi, this case of 4 hours in Damyang and visit 4 attractions is only possible if you travel alone. For I'm sure I will spend more time if I travel with friends (more selfies and take turn to take photos with good pose) :P

This is my suggested itinerary for one day trip in Damyang.


I'll try to cover the other places mentioned  in separate post: Meta Provence | Gwanbangjerim Forest | Juknokwon.

Damyang has been on my bucket list ever since I watched 2015 Korean drama "Mask" (가면), which starring Soo Ae and Joo Ji Hoon. In episode 13 and 14, the couple went on a trip to Damyang and I was stunned by the green view of tree-lined road there. Since I couldn't make it to go there in summer, why not in winter!



Based on the information I read on visitkorea, we could take local bus 10-1 from Damyang Bus Terminal to that Metasequoia road. However after waited for about 15 minutes, I decided to just take taxi since the waiting time for bus running in small city usually takes longer and I just don't want to waste my time waiting (I couldn't find information when the bus will come and the taxi is easier to find when you wait in front of the bus terminal). It only takes 5-10 mins to get there and costs around 5,000 won.

Damyang Metasequioa Road is located right in front of Damyang Meta Provence (메타 프로방스). You can easily notice the lining trees and if you're seeing it from Meta Provence, the metasequoia road is located across the street and a bit under the slope. We have to pay 2,000 won for the entrance ticket.

It's very quiet there and I only met few people walking on that road. I heard for the past three days, there was a heavy snowfall around Gwangju area (this time the weather forecast is so accurate!). That explain the very thick snow covering the ground and the magnificent winter scenery I found there.

Look, how thick the snow on the ground is!

Since I came alone, I just walked from the entrance to almost an end of the road and took a lot of photos. Probably the ahjussi and ahjumma couple was wondering why this girl was just wandered alone in this cold weather, that's why suddenly they offered help to take photo of me. That was very nice of them! lol. Anyway, both of them carried DSLR camera and I guess they also came to take photos of Damyang's winter scenery. Well, I guess I'm not the only one who come here to find snow.



On the left of the road is actually a river, but it's all white, covered by snow. So pretty, right?


You know you're in Korea if you could find a romantic photo spot for couple like this. There was even a couple doing a pre-wedding photo shoot. Someday, I will ask my future husband to have a pre-wedding photo shoot in place like this too. LOL




Walked further, there was a Korean traditional house surrounded by wall. I don't know whether we could enter that house or not and I don't really bother to find out at that time. Looking at the posters  on the wall, the house seems to be used as filming location for a Korean movie. Just find out later on, it's a 2014 Korean movie titled "The King's Wrath / The Fatal Encounter" (역린), starring Hyun Bin and Jo Jung-suk.



There're more to discover in this place that's as astonishingly beautiful. That's the wonder of winter! Winter brings snow, and snow turns everything into a perfect white and gives the magical feeling to everything it covers, just like these snow-covered branches.





I tried to make a snowman but it's a total fail (I won't upload the pic here) LOL The result was my hands become so red since it's freezing cold. The good thing is other people left their well-made snowman for me to take pic of it.



Walking in cold never been so wonderful like this. I do really really recommend you guys to visit this place when you come to Korea in winter, although it takes some efforts to get there (well, it's quite far from Seoul). Of course, you better be prepared with thick clothes and proper shoes to walk through the snow.


If I have another chance, I would love to visit Damyang again in other seasons. Bet it would be so pretty in autumn as well!

Address:
12, Metasequoia-ro, Damyang-eup, Damyang-gun, Jeollanam-do
전라남도 담양군 담양읍 메타세쿼이아로 12 (담양읍)

How to get there:
Take direct bus from Seoul Central City Bus Terminal (by subway, go to Express Bus Terminal station exit 8) to Damyang Bus Terminal (3 hours 30 mins). From Damyang Bus Terminal, take taxi to get to Metasequoia Road (5-10 mins).

If you plan to stay in Gwangju (and then visit Damyang), you could take bus from Seoul Central City Bus Terminal to Gwangju Bus Terminal (3 hours 30 mins), bus is available every 5-10 mins. Get out from Gwangju Bus Terminal and walk to the bus stop in front of the bus terminal / U-SQUARE, then take local bus no. 311 to get to Damyang Bus Terminal.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments